History of the Union “Tsodna Society”

  • Print

The Tsodna (Knowledge) Society has traversed an interesting path since the day of its foundation.  In the first years of its existence, it was known under the name of the society on dissemination of scientific and political knowledge. The society Tsodna was founded in May, 1947. The initiative group was represented by the well-known Georgian scientists and writers: Nikoloz Muskhelishvili, Ivane Beritashvili, Shalva Amiranashvili, Akaki Shanidze, Giorgi Akhvlediani, Niko Berdzenishvili, Arnold Chikobava, Niko Ketskhoveli, Konstantine Gamsakhurdia, Giorgi Leonidze, Irakli Abashidze, Simon Chikovani, etc. Distinguished and prominent representatives of the national science and culture were united in the society. The first Chairman of the “Tsodna” society was unanimously elected prominent Georgian scientist Nikoloz Muskhelishvili. This fact emphasized strong interaction between the Academy of Sciences and the society “Tsodna”. Next years the heads of the Society were academicians Giorgi Dzotsenidze, Eugeny Kharadze, Angia Bochorishvili, Albert Tavkhelidze, the first Georgian academician of the Academy of Sciences of Turkey and the first ambassador of Georgia in Turkey professor Nodar Komakhidze. Since 1990, the society “Tsodna” has been headed by doctor of philological sciences, Professor Nugzar Tsereteli. The novelty in the activity of the “Tsodna” Society is that Medical College formed on its base has been accredited since the nineties. And a worthysuccessor of the Georgian Ilia Chavchavadze International Scientific-Cultural-Educational Union “Tsodna” Society is the institution of higher education that has been included on a list of accredited institutions since 2007.